Saturday, August 14, 2010

Grocery Shopping/Phone

We found a small grocery store about 1 block away, and bought a few things so we would have food to eat in the apartment. However, the prices for things are not quite what you would expect. Goods that have no connection to the US or another part of Europe tended to be extremely cheap, and American goods were fairly expensive.
All told, we only spent $7 so it's not like it broke the bank or anything.
The bread was by far the cheapest. It's sold in 1kg loaves, and costs about $0.50 before VAT.

Also, I got my phone working. It turns out that it came with no money on it, and, in order to fix that I had a nice conversation in Hungarian with a very frustrated gas station attendant (no, mol is not Hungarian for mall, but, is in fact, a chain of gas stations), who explained to me (using lots of writing and pointing) that I needed to type in some sort of number into a pin pad, and give him 5000HUF in cash (about $25), I left when I realized this wasn't going anywhere. Once I reached the apartment, I realized that the super-secret number he required was actually just my phone number, so I went to a different place (in order to no have to admit my stupidity) and got my phone charged up.

Chris, my third room mate, arrived late last night, and we went out together to find a SIM card for his phone (which didn't come with one), this involved a trip by subway to the biggest mall (it turns out we could have done this pretty much anywhere), where he bought a SIM card, and then we took the long way, in a tram along the river back to our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment